Sunday, May 29, 2016

Japan and Korea trip

Have been neglecting my blog for past few months. Finally back here to share my fun 16 days Japan and Korea trip. Spend around 2.2k for my whole trip.

1) Brought the SIA air ticket during promotion
2) Brought the Jeju Air ticket early (Saver Fare)
3) Accommodation: Guesthouse or Airbnb
4) Other include attraction tickets but excluding shopping. 

*Do note that the exchange rate for Won and Yen changed drastically over the past few months. If you are exchanging now, you would need more money.

I could have cut down the cost transport by SGD130 if I choose to take flight from Tokyo to Osaka instead of taking the Shinkansen (bullet train). Jetstar flight costs around 4000yen compared to 13910yen. I have taken bullet train in Korea and Taiwan. If you have taken bullet train in other countries, there is no difference in the experience and I would recommend taking flight instead. However, the flight does not travel from Tokyo to Osaka so I would have to make some adjustment to my traveling plan.

I also wasted over $30 to cab down at 3am to Tsukiji wholesale fish market to see the Tuna Auction but did not get the chance to see it. I see online reviews that it is safe as long it is before 3:30am. However, I checked with the security guard that the tickets are given out as early as 2:30am. As there is limited slot of 120, you have to really go really early. Personally, I wouldn't recommend as the auction start around 5:25am and you have to wait for 3hours before the auction. Better to have some nice sleep :)

I also depend a lot on google map and sometime, it gives me wrong routes. Better to check double confirm especially when you are taking bus. Not sure whether the bus ride has changed or the information is wrong! Learnt the lesson by paying some bus fees ...

Tokyo
Day 1: ICHIRAN Ueno
Day 2: Asakusa, Ueno Park+lunch, Rabbit Cafe & Koishikawa Korakuen
Day 3: Hamarikyu Garden, Kyu Shiba Rijyu Garden, Zojoji Temple, Tokyo Tower & Ginza
Day 4: Tsukiji wholesale fish market, Meiji Shrine, Shinjuku Gyoen, Harajuku, Dog cafe & Shibuya
Day 5: Owl cafe, Imperial East Garden and Tokyo station

Kyoto
Day 6: Nijo Castle, Kyoto International Manga Museum
Day 7: Philosopher's Path, Ginkakuji Temple, Eikando Zenrin-Ji Temple, Nanzen Temple, Maruyama Park & Yasaka Shrine, Gion (Miyajo Odori performance), Kiyomizudera Temple and Pontocho
Day 8: Togetsukyo Bridge, Tenryuji Temple, Saga Arashiyama, Jojakkoji Temple, Kinkakuji, Hirano shrine & Kitano Tenmangu
Day 9: Fushimi Inari Shrine (morning)

Osaka
Day 9: Osaka castle & Dotonbori
Day 10: Ramen Museum & shop around Namba

Korea
Day 11: Blind alley racoon cafe and shop at lotte mart
Day 12: Yeouido Park, Insadong and Myeongdong
Day 13: Gyeongju city tour (guided tour)
Day 14: Jeonju city
Day 15 and 16: more shopping ...

I will try to blog about these details and share these information with everyone :)