Friday, February 7, 2014

Seodaemun Prison History Museum

Seodaemun Prison History Museum





How to go there: Alight at Dongnimmun Station and come out from exit 5. It is located on the left side of the exit.
The entrance is just 3000won which is quite affordable. When I told my friends in Korea that I am going prison, they must be thinking "michoso". Who would like to visit such places? I am running out of ideas to visit in this trip. I have visited most part of Seoul like all the palaces, museums and shopping places. I also want to avoid cafe for today hence I decide to visit something unique. Furthermore, visiting prison would be an eye opener for me especially this prison museum is not a normal prison. It showcases the fight to freedom and history of korea during Japanese occupation.
The prison is quite well structure. First part of the tour is about the history of the prison and second part is walking around the prison.
Overview of the whole prison but some part of it is already being tear down
Shackle used in the past
the torture box -.- the prisoner was placed inside this box with thorns and the Japaneses would kick the box. Just imagine the pain caused by this thorns ...

How the Japaneses tortured the prisoner to make them confess/surrender ... quite cruel

Freedom fighters
How they delivery meals to the prisoners
Quite unique mechanism where the prisoners push a button inside and the stick outside the prison will fall to inform of any emergency
The exercise area for prisoners where they are separated to prevent any form of communication
All these bricks inside this prison has this sign

Overall, it is really quite an eye opener for me and I learnt quite a lot about Japanese occupation. I recommend spending 2 to 3 hours around the prison. The tour also highlights to me the importance of the army to the country. Although I don't really like serving army for 2 years, it is still important to every country especially quite a lot recent events. Just looking at recent news about Indonesia's decision to name a new naval ship after two marines executed for a 1960s bombing in Singapore. I am not sure what is their real motive but we need to defend ourselves against any threats. Hence, it is still important to defend our own country.