Monday, January 13, 2014

Farm stay

Previously when I went Korea, I wanted to try the farm stay but I didn't have sufficient time for it. For this trip, I allocated 3 days for the farm stay. It is like playing my favorite harvest moon game which I love it when I was young.
The farm I am going is "EDU farm" located at Gyeonggi-do.
How to go there: Take train to yangpyeong station located on JungAng line. Take bus bound for HangGeumRi which is located in front of the traditional market. Alight at UnRimSi.
As it is located on rural area, the bus service is not that frequent. I noticed there is some times before the bus would arrive so I explore the traditional market. Subsequently, I took the bus and arrived at the farm.

I was greeted with this male cat named Maricon which mean gay in spanish .... U must be thinking why the owner gave the cat such a weird name? Previously, the owner had male cat but died in car accident cause he went out to meet female cat outside. Hence, the owner decided to name this male cat Maricon so hoping that he would stay safe. This cat is really cute and enjoys human touch. Whenever we are out in the farm to work, he would follow us and wait patiently until we finish our job.

While the owner was preparing lunch, I went out to explore his farm. His farm consists of a house, education center for the kids, hens and dogs cage and a big piece of land for farming.


The farm is just located near the river bank with a beautiful scenery. Hope to retire in such nice place but it is impossible in Singapore...

As it is winter, there is limited stuffs to do as there is no plantation or harvest during this period. Here is some of the item which I did during the farm stay.

The house still uses the traditional way of heating unlike the electric system in Seoul during winter so I had to change every morning and evening to keep the house warm during winter.

I also had to collect eggs from the chicken every morning and evening. These chickens can fly up to height that is taller than me 0.0 Whenever i enter the cage, I am worried about these chickens going to peck me cause I am "stealing" their eggs.


Clearing his farm. I think I chopped so many trees during the farm stay. All these trees are unwanted which compete with the useful one for nutrients so we had to remove them during winter. Look at the amount of trees piled over here!!

For those thicker logs, we will pile them over here and burn to keep the place warm. Other than these tasks, I also help in preparing materials needed for the kids coming to the farm a few days later.
Overall, the owner is really nice and prepares nice meals for me to eat. I really enjoy the farm stay and I would definitely try in the future but I would choose other seasons to come as there is limited things to do. You can also choose to come with your friends which would be more enjoyable. If you are really interested in farmstay, can check out here. U can also check out wwoof which also offers farmstay in other countries.